About

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

My review of Water Town by Laurel Veil

Water Town

by Laurel Veil




Ronnie is anxious about spending the summer with family she barely remembers. Her expectations are low. She'll babysit her cousin, do odd jobs to earn money for college, and maybe if she's lucky, spend a few hours on the beach. She never thought for a moment she would find herself in an abandoned orphanage, hunting ghosts or tangled up in murder.

 

Publication Date: 10th February 2018

Publisher: Amazon

Page Length: 282 pages

Genre: Young Adult / Ghost Stories


 

MY THOUGHTS!

With her dad going on holiday for the first time in a very long time, Ronnie makes the three hour drive to Thorton Island, to stay with her Aunt and Uncle. She has jobs lined up, there’s an elderly neighbour who needs help around the house and her cousin will need babysitting every now and again. But there’s a small amount of dread in going to Thorton Island. After all, last time she was there, Ronnie could’ve sworn she saw a ghost…


This book has it all: love, ghosts, a lovely old lady with a dark past and a beach house. While I read the whole book in one sitting and I fell in love with some of the characters, namely Ronnie and Miss Betty, the ending disappointed me. There were too many loose ends and it seemed rushed, trying to wrap everything up quickly, but leaving out some crucial moments that could’ve done with some explaining.


However, I enjoyed reading it and, as I said, I read it in one sitting. Not once did I feel like giving up on this book as I followed Ronnie’s problems with seeing ghosts around the beach house her Aunt and Uncle had asked her to help them fix-up. The horror of what is found in the old orphanage, just one day after Ronnie and her new friends decide to look around it, is enough to put anyone on edge, even more so when Ronnie finds an old photo…


Despite the ending letting me down, this is an excellent read and the mystery of the ghosts following Ronnie and Miss Betty’s secrets will intrigue anyone who loves a good spooky Young Adult mystery.


I Recommend.

 

 

Amazon


 

No comments:

Post a Comment