About

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Where Do Writers Get Their Ideas? Find out where #HistoricalFiction author, Emma Lombard, got hers!! #BlogTour #CoffeePotBookClub @LombardEmma @maryanneyarde



 

Discerning Grace
(Book One of The White Sails Series)
By Emma Lombard




As the first full-length novel in The White Sails Series, DISCERNING GRACE captures the spirit of an independent woman whose feminine lens blows the ordered patriarchal decks of a 19th century tall ship to smithereens.

Wilful Grace Baxter, will not marry old Lord Silverton with his salivary incontinence and dead-mouse stink. Discovering she is a pawn in an arrangement between slobbery Silverton and her calculating father, Grace is devastated when Silverton reveals his true callous nature.

Refusing this fate, Grace resolves to stow away. Heading to the docks, disguised as a lad to ease her escape, she encounters smooth-talking naval recruiter, Gilly, who lures her aboard HMS Discerning with promises of freedom and exploration in South America.

When Grace's big mouth lands her bare-bottomed over a cannon for insubordination, her identity is exposed. The captain wants her back in London but his orders, to chart the icy archipelago of Tierra del Fuego, forbid it. Lieutenant Seamus Fitzwilliam gallantly offers to take Grace off the fretting captain's hands by placing her under his protection.

Grace must now win over the crew she betrayed with her secret, while managing her feelings towards her taciturn protector, whose obstinate chivalry stifles her new-found independence. But when Grace disregards Lieutenant Fitzwilliam's warnings about the dangers of the unexplored archipelago, it costs a friend his life and she realises she is not as free as she believes.

Publication Date: 22 February 2021
Page Length: 372 pages
Genre: Historical Women’s Fiction



Where Do Writers Get Their Ideas?
By Emma Lombard


Where the Inspiration for Discerning Grace Came From

The idea for my historical women’s fiction, romantic adventure, Discerning Grace, came about when my grandmother told me that my 3x great grandmother eloped with an English sea captain. This is what my grandmother letter says, ‘Your GGG grandmother was only 16 when she ran away from home to marry a sea captain … her family cut her off and she sailed the seas with him …’ How freaking awesome it that! I just knew I had to write a story about it!

Armed with a little knowledge of my 3x great grandmother’s character, I had a great foundation upon which to build my fictional tale. I’ve been thrilled by the journey of writing it and all the research too, but most of all, I’ve loved imagining the incredible courage and fortitude it would have taken my ancestor to choose such a life! Especially because I’m afflicted by sea sickness and always end up laying face-down on the deck of any boat or ship I travel on. 

Plus, there is my 3x great grandfather’s side of the tale to consider too. As my grandmother put it, they were ‘obviously a very enlightened couple, and she a very, very liberated woman.’ Knowing these kinds of people really existed back then made writing about my fictional characters’ boundary-pushing pursuits even more exhilarating.

While the foundation for my novel comes from a piece of ancestral gossip, I have been very mindful not to encroach on my ancestor's lives and so my story is a purely fictional, historical naval adventure—with a dash of romance.


My Inspiration

I’ve drawn inspiration from Wilbur Smith’s galloping historical adventures that don’t shy away from sweeping the globe and diving into rugged terrain. Diana Gabaldon’s epic historical Outlander tomes brilliantly makes readers use all their senses, building a realistic picture of the old world. I’ve created an epic tale that I hope will appeal to a wider audience as it isn’t overly bogged down with the technicalities of sailing or navigation found in most naval fiction. 

And as one of my Goodreads reviewers pointed out, it’s “…for lovers of … romance which isn’t all flutters and butterflies.” It also focuses on the dynamics of relationships between rank and class, and on breaking down social and gender stereotypes of the day. All while sweeping readers along on a tall ship across the world’s oceans, where new discoveries and mishaps happen a plenty.

History is full of pioneering individuals and I hope to have captured this spirit in my characters. And let’s not forget, it’s also a rollicking romantic adventure!



Historical Fiction or Historical Romance?

It was only after some excellent advice from a couple of literary agents who I queried that I realized I’d blurred the lines between the genres of historical fiction, women’s fiction, and romance. So, after a substantial re-write to tighten up the voice of my novel, I finally launched Discerning Grace out into the world as historical women’s fiction. 

I hope that Grace Baxter will appeal to the same readers who love Claire Fraser from Outlander, and Demelza Poldark from Poldark. In other words, fans of feisty historical female leads. This doesn’t mean that there isn’t an element of romance in my novels, it just means that it doesn’t follow the romance formula.

The romance genre has quite a distinct arc in the relationship between the two main characters, with a resolution to this relationship coming to a (usually) happy-ever-after scenario at the end of the book. It also zooms in on the more intimate moments between the two love interests (touches, glances, and proffered love).

The women’s fiction genre focusses more on the story arc of the female lead, independently of any love interests. It explores the character’s journey and the effects it has on her along the way, including how she manages challenges and grows from experiences. 

In Grace’s instance, she has to stay disguised as a young man aboard a ship of roughened sea dogs, and then ultimately stand her ground as a woman among the patriarchal ranks. Throw in a few perils of life at sea on an exploration vessel mapping the world, and Grace ends up on the adventure of a lifetime. Though she’s not averse to secretly making eyes at a certain dashing lieutenant.

My Goal as an Author

I write to entertain. Yip, it’s that simple. I hope my readers will be able to laugh, scream, cry and sigh with satisfaction that my story wholly immersed them in another time and place with characters who they cheered on and championed for (or booed and hissed at if they’re the baddy). As one passionate Goodreads reader put it, “Silverton’s vileness seeped through the pages to the point I wanted to climb into the book and sort him out myself.”
And another invested reader responded, “Also thank you for the laughs and the tears (and when I say tears I mean it). Why?? Oh, why Emma??? Why did you do that!? You know what I am talking about. Yes… that. Although I forgive you…”

Mwahaha! *Evil author laugh

THAT’s what I’m talking about! Lol! Mission accomplished.





Emma Lombard

Emma Lombard was born in Pontefract in the UK. She grew up in Africa—calling Zimbabwe and South Africa home for a few years—before finally settling in Brisbane Australia, and raising four boys. Before she started writing historical fiction, she was a freelance editor in the corporate world, which was definitely not half as exciting as writing rollicking romantic adventures. Her characters are fearless seafarers, even though in real life Emma gets disastrously sea sick. Discerning Grace, is the first book in The White Sails Series.









1 comment:

  1. Thanks a mill for hosting me on my tour. Much appreciated! Emma x

    ReplyDelete