About

Thursday, June 24, 2021

Read an interview with Tim Walker, author of Guardians at the Wall #HistoricalFiction #HadriansWall #AuthorInterview @timwalker1666

 

I have another interview today! This time, it's with Tim Walker. While writing this interview, Tim had a bit of a cooking disaster! Read on to find out about this, and check out his book while you're here!


Guardians at the Wall

Tim Walker



Archaeology student Noah scrapes the soil near Hadrian’s Wall, once a barrier that divided Roman Britannia from wild Caledonian tribes, in the hope of uncovering an ancient artefact around which he can build a project-defining story.

He makes an intriguing find, but hasn't anticipated the distraction of becoming the object of desire in a developing love triangle in the isolated academic community at Vindolanda. He’s living his best life, but must learn to prioritise in a race against time to solve an astounding 2,000-year-old riddle, and an artefact theft, as he comes to realise his future career prospects depend on it.

In the same place, almost 2,000 years earlier, Centurion Gaius Atticianus, hungover and unaware of the bloody conflicts that will soon challenge him, is rattled by the hoot of an owl, a bad omen. 

These are the protagonists whose lives will brush together in the alternating strands of this dual timeline historical novel, one commencing his journey and trying to get noticed, the other trying to stay intact as he approaches retirement.

How will the breathless battles fought by a Roman officer influence the fortunes of a twenty-first century archaeology mud rat? Can naive Noah, distracted by the attentions of two very different women, navigate his way to a winning presentation?

Find out in Tim Walker's thrilling historical dual timeline novel, Guardians at the Wall.


KindlePaperback




INTERVIEW

Writing Interview Questions

Why did you choose to write your book in this era?


I have had a fascination for Roman Britain since I was a teen and read Rosemary Sutcliffe’s ‘The Eagle of the Ninth’. In 2014, whilst recovering from cancer treatment, I visited the nearest Roman site to where I live – Silchester (the former town of Calleva Atrebatum) in Hampshire, and pondered these questions: how would the locals have reacted to the withdrawal of their Roman rulers in the years leading up to 410 CE? Would it have been liberation or a sense of abandonment after more than three hundred years of protection? This led to my first historical novel, Abandoned.


Did you find researching this era particularly difficult? What was the hardest thing to find out, and did you come across anything particularly surprising?

It’s a joy to research this period in British history that lasted for roughly 360 years from 43 – 410 CE. I bought and avidly read the latest history books on the era, as archaeological findings continue to feed into historians’ understanding of the details of life in Roman Britain. New theories and revelations are still forthcoming on the politics and military campaigns of this period. On my visit to Corbridge Roman town, I discovered that the town had been burnt down in the year 180 or 181 during an attack from what must have been a large warband from north of Hadrian’s Wall. 180 is also the year of the death of Emperor Marcus Aurelius, a popular emperor with the legions. So, from this, I chose 180 CE as my anchor point - the year to begin my story of centurion Gaius Atticianus. A second discovery gave me my character. An altar stone was excavated at the fort of Epiacum (now Whitley Castle in Cumbria) dedicated to the god Hercules by Centurion Gaius Vitellius Atticianus of the Sixth Legion. Nothing more is known of Gaius, so I have imagined a part of his life.


Can you share something about the book that isn’t covered in the blurb?

I had few problems writing an action and adventure story for the historical thread, but struggled with the contemporary story of intrigue amongst archaeologists at Hadrian’s Wall. Firstly, I knew nothing about archaeological practice and procedures, so had to dive into desk research. I’m indebted to three or four beta readers with experience and knowledge of archaeology who put me right. Secondly, I needed some conflict in the contemporary story to counterpoint the battles and political moves of Gaius in Roman Britain. I decided to avoid making my contemporary story a murder mystery, and instead opted for an artefact theft caper and an affair between student Noah and his professor, Maggie. Well, the beta readers chewed my ear about my clumsy handling of this story and were affronted at the slight to Maggie’s professional status and her potentially career-wrecking poor judgement. I was soon plunged into major soul-searching and extensive re-writes. The controversial affair remains, but it has been massaged and panel-beaten into something I hope is more credible and acceptable to the readers. I’m already quaking at the possible review comments!

If you had to describe your protagonist(s), in three words, what would those three words be?

Noah (a 20-year-old student): cute, naïve, determined.
Gaius (41-year-old Roman centurion): tough, reliable, caring.

What was the most challenging part about writing your book?

It’s my first attempt at dual timeline. I sought advice on the best way to approach this in a Facebook group – Historical and Timeslip Novels – and got some helpful feedback. I went with two stories of equal weight (about 45,000 words each) in alternate chapters. The skill and challenge, I came to appreciate, was in linking the two stories through common objects and themes. At times this was like trying to solve a riddle. I’m indebted to my critique partner and proof-reader, Linda Oliver, for discussing the links and plot details as we batted the chapters back and forth.
 
What would you tell an aspiring author who had some doubts about their writing abilities?

Creative writing should be an enjoyable activity and something you feel compelled to do. You cannot force it - your writing must come from the heart or the reader will work you out and soon lose interest. A tutor once told me the author is making a contract with the reader – in return for the readers’ commitment, the author must deliver a well-written and engaging story that is worth the investment of their time.

Personal Interview questions

What do you like to do when you are not writing?

I’m managing a chronic health condition that keeps me at home most of the time, so creative writing has been a lifeline to me, and I have preserved my sanity through tough times by throwing myself into research and invention.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I loved reading and writing and English Literature was my favourite subject at school, so some form of writing was a desired career. When I left school, I got a position as trainee reporter on a Liverpool newspaper and learned the ropes of news reporting and feature writing. I researched (in libraries in the pre-internet 80s!) the history of a local Grade I listed building in our circulation area, and my findings of the lives of the wealthy men who had owned it was serialised over four issues and made into a booklet. I also reviewed the new movies that came to Liverpool and enjoyed rubbing shoulders with serious journalists and columnists at press showing at the Odeon Cinema in Liverpool. Having been born in Hong Kong and had a magical childhood, I’d always felt my life was an adventure, and so it continued when I went to Zambia in the mid-90s to run an educational book publishing project and then launch my own magazine and newspaper. For five years I lived the dream.

What’s for dinner tonight? What would you rather be eating?

Whilst writing this, the foul smell of something burning wafted into my lounge. I quietly cursed my neighbours and carried on hitting the keyboard. When thirst drove me to go to the kitchen, I was greeted with a cloud of smoke accompanied by an acrid stench. It was me! I’d put my hard plums (why do supermarkets sell us unripe fruit?) in a pan of boiling water an hour previously, forgotten about it, and now it had boiled dry. Silly me. There’ll be no cooking tonight, just a sandwich later.

What would be a perfect day?

I live alone and miss the company of family and friends. I haven’t seen my daughter, who lives in France, or my parents, who live in Spain, for almost two years. A perfect day for me would be meeting up this summer – we’ll see if covid restrictions permit.

What is the best part of your day?

When I have a book on the go, I love waking up with ideas in my head and feeling motivated to jump out of bed and fire up the laptop. Most of my writing is done in mornings.

Either or!

Tea or coffee: Tea
Hot or cold: hot 
Movie or book: the book before the movie
Morning person or Night owl: Morning
City or country: City dweller who dreams of living in the country… maybe one day.
Social Media or book: happier with a good book
Paperback or ebook: paperback


Tim Walker is an independent author living near Windsor in the UK. He grew up in Liverpool where he began his working life as a trainee reporter on a local newspaper. After studying for a degree in Communication studies he moved to London where he worked in the newspaper publishing industry for ten years before relocating to Zambia where, following a period of voluntary work with VSO, he set up his own marketing and publishing business. He returned to the UK in 2009.

His creative writing journey began in earnest in 2013, as a therapeutic activity whilst recovering from cancer treatment. He began writing an historical fiction series, A Light in the Dark Ages, in 2014, inspired by a visit to the part-excavated site of a former Roman town. The series connects the end of Roman Britain to elements of the Arthurian legend and is inspired by historical source material, presenting an imagined history of Britain in the fifth and early sixth centuries.

The last book in the series, Arthur, Rex Brittonum, was published in June 2020. This is a re-imagining of the story of King Arthur and follows on from 2019’s Arthur Dux Bellorum. Both titles are Coffee Pot Book Club recommended reads. The series starts with Abandoned (second edition, 2018); followed by Ambrosius: Last of the Romans (2017); and book three, Uther’s Destiny (2018). Series book covers are designed by Canadian graphic artist, Cathy Walker.

Tim has also written three books of short stories, Thames Valley Tales (2015), Postcards from London (2017) and Perverse (2020); a dystopian thriller, Devil Gate Dawn (2016); and three children’s books, co-authored with his daughter, Cathy – The Adventures of Charly Holmes (2017), Charly & the Superheroes (2018) and Charly in Space (2020).





1 comment:

  1. That was a really interesting interview. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete