About

Sunday, July 4, 2021

Read an interview with Dominic Fielder, author of The Queen of the Citadels (The King’s Germans, Book 3) #HistoricalFiction #KingsGermans #BlogTour #CoffeePotBookClub @Kings_Germans @maryanneyarde

 


The Queen of the Citadels
(The King’s Germans, Book 3)
By Dominic Fielder


October 1793: The French border.

Dunkirk was a disaster for the Duke of York’s army. The French, sensing victory before the winter, launch attacks along the length of the border. Menen is captured and the French now hold the whip hand. Nieuport and Ostend are threatened, and Sebastian Krombach finds himself involved in a desperate plan to stop the Black Lions as they spearhead the French advance. Werner Brandt and the men of 2nd Battalion race to Menen to counterattack and rescue Erich von Bomm and the Grenadiers, whilst von Bomm struggles to save himself from his infatuation with a mysterious French vivandière. 

Meanwhile, dark and brooding, the citadel of Lille dominates the border. The Queen of the Citadels has never been captured by force. The allies must now keep Menen, which guards Flanders, and seize Lille to open the road to Paris. All of this must be done under the watchful eyes of a spy in the Austrian camp. Juliette of Marboré is fighting her own secret war to free Julian Beauvais, languishing in the Conciergerie prison, and waiting for his appointment with the guillotine, as the Terror rages in Paris. 


Publication Date: 26th August 2021
Publisher: Independently Published
Page Length: 550 Pages
Genre: Historical Military Fiction



Available on KindleUnlimited!


INTERVIEW

Writing Interview Questions.

Why did you choose to write your book in this era?

One of the earliest memories that I have is of a writing bureau in the hallway of my home. It was an object that fascinated me, with its hidden compartments. Finding things in these was like discovering treasure, even if these were used envelopes or an old stationery book. 

One day, in one of the central sections, I found a colour film brochure for Dino de Laurentiis’ film ‘Waterloo’. After that, my parents would frequently find me perched at the bottom of the staircase, gazing at the splendour of the uniforms, even if I couldn’t grasp the words. 
It took a while for me to realise that the ‘splendour’ of those times was illusory, but by then I was hooked. When the military fiction series Sharpe came along, I felt as though they had been written just for me and I scoured the bookshelves of WH Smith looking for each new release. I was also fortunate that my family owned a second-hand book stall, so gems were always turning up there too. My hours spent there fuelled my love of reading and that wonder at the craft of story-telling. 

I’d love to have that writing bureau now, but it has long since gone the way of all things. The wonder of the Napoleonic age has not left me though, and I hope that I can capture some of that in my stories. 
 
What is the most surprising thing you discovered while you were researching this era? 

In the Black Lions of Flanders, I tell the story around the events of August 1793, where the allied armies are just eleven days march from Paris, before they separate and pursue their own war aims. It’s a historian’s cliché to say that the whole course of history would have been changed but seizing Paris would, in all likelihood, have brought about the end of the French revolution and may well have changed how people in future years viewed the prospects of success in both political and social revolutions. 

Can you share something about the book that isn’t covered in the blurb? 

One of my central characters, Erich von Bomm, finds himself involved in a life and death occurrence with a vivandière, a woman that he should have no earthly reason to meet again. He does, of course, and they share a love that is cut short by his return to the front-line. They decide that if events turn out badly, she will travel to safety in Hanover, but his instructions will never reach her, and by the time the full calamity of events have unfolded, the French army has swept into Ghent, placing her life in peril. 

If you had to describe your protagonist, in three words, what would those three words be?

For Sebastian Krombach it would be a bold, loyal idealist. For Julian Beauvais it would be a wounded, avenging colossus! 

What are you currently working on? 

The last chapters of the Queen of the Citadels. It has been an exceptionally busy last twenty months, as I have just completed my training to teach maths at secondary level. That, along with tutoring throughout the whole of lockdown, pushed writing to the side. Now it’s full steam ahead for the finale of the book! 


Personal Interview questions.

What do you like to do when you are not writing?

Spend time with my son. Doesn’t matter what we are doing, it’s just great to have some time together. 

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Not what I became…I wanted to be a Spitfire pilot, now I teach maths. I’d worry if I had wanted to be a maths teacher, aged 5 or 6! 

What’s for dinner tonight? 

Spaghetti Bolognese (which I love…)

What’s your favourite food? 

Roast lamb (which I love even more…)

What is the best part of your day? 

I teach mathematics, the whole day is pretty good, really. I tend to write in the evenings though, so 8pm, sat in the garden with a cold drink and clear skies overhead, that’s not a bad time of the day. 


Either or!

Tea or coffee: Green Tea

Hot or cold: Hot

Movie or book: Movie (just)

Morning person or Night owl: Morning 

City or country: Country

Social Media or book: Book

Paperback or ebook: Paperback 

Dominic Fielder

Dominic Fielder has had careers in retail and the private education sector and is currently working as a secondary school Maths teacher. He has a First-class honours degree in history and a lifetime’s interest in the hobby of wargaming. The King's Germans series is a project that grew out of this passion He currently juggles writing and research around a crowded work and family life. 

Whilst self-published he is very grateful for an excellent support team. The Black Lions of Flanders (set in 1793) is the first in the King's Germans' series, which will follow an array of characters through to the final book in Waterloo. He lives just outside of Tavistock on the edge of Dartmoor. where he enjoys walking on the moors and the occasional horse-riding excursion as both writing inspiration and relaxation.

TwitterFacebookInstagramAmazon Author PageGoodreads


Follow the tour HERE!


1 comment: