About

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Read an interview with Pam Lecky, and have a look at her new book, Her Secret War! #HistoricalFiction #Interview #WW2 @pamlecky


It's my absolute pleasure to welcome onto my blog, Pam Lecky, with an interview and to take a look at her book – it is not out yet, but it sounds so good, I strongly recommend you pre-order it right now!


Her Secret War

Pam Lecky

A moment that ruins her life

On 31st May 1941, Germany drops bombs on neutral Dublin and Sarah Gillespie loses her family and home that fateful night. Days later, the man she loves leaves Ireland to enlist in the RAF.

A decision that changes her life

With nothing to keep her in Ireland and a burning desire to help the war effort, Sarah seeks refuge with relatives in Hampshire, England. But before long, Sarah’s family history catches up with her.

A mission that could cost her life

Sarah is asked to prove her loyalty to Britain through uncovering a spy at Vickers Supermarine, the manufacturers of the legendary Spitfire fighter plane. But to progress with her mission, she must become involved with a fifth columnist. And so the most dangerous game she’s ever played ensues…


Pre-order HERE!

Out on 14th October 2021


INTERVIEW

Writing Interview questions.

Why did you choose to write your book in this era?

Up to this, I have written predominantly in the late Victorian era and my Lucy Lawrence Mystery series is great fun to write and set in a period I absolutely love. However, I wanted to stretch myself with something new. I have always been fascinated by the wars of the 20th century, and in particular the murky world of espionage. However, I was keen that whatever I wrote would have a strong Irish flavour. Her Secret War, set during WW2, began to formulate in my head. 

I wanted to begin the story in wartime Dublin. Ireland, still reeling from the War of Independence and the Irish Civil War which quickly followed, declared itself neutral during WW2. And despite Churchill’s attempts to get Ireland to join the Allies, the government stood firm for the duration of the war. 

But then the Luftwaffe bombed Dublin on 31st May 1941. Tragically, twenty-eight men, woman and children died, and ninety were injured. The enclave of North Strand, where the largest bomb fell, was decimated with almost three hundred homes destroyed or damaged and nearly four hundred people were left homeless. Germany claimed they dropped the bombs on North Strand in error and eventually compensated the Irish Government. However, the incident occurred only a couple of miles from where I grew up. As I considered the plot of Her Secret War, I felt this event would be the perfect opening for the book. 

I decided to take my readers on a journey with a strong female lead overcoming the direst of circumstances. My main character, Sarah Gillespie, is the only one of her family to survive the North Strand bombing. Her plight resonates with the thousands who survived similar incidences throughout the war, all over the world. From the ruins of her life, Sarah must make some difficult decisions. Like many Irish, she has family in Britain and when they hold out the offer of a new life and a job, Sarah decides to leave Ireland. Unfortunately, her new life slowly falls apart as she is drawn into the dark world of WW2 espionage.

Both my family and local history inspired Her Secret War. My mother and her sisters left rural Ireland to work in Britain during WW2. One aunt was following her boyfriend who had joined the RAF, and she went to work in a factory making munitions. Another aunt wanted to study nursing, and my mother was a ‘clippie’ on the Birmingham buses. Her Secret War is not their story, but there are glimpses of their experiences hidden amongst the fiction. Her Secret War will be published by Avon Books UK/Harper Collins on 14th October 2021 and is now available for pre-order.

Did you find researching this era particularly difficult? What was the hardest thing to find out, and did you come across anything particularly surprising?

Luckily, I have always had an interest in the era, mainly, I suppose, because of my family history. There are a multitude of resources to tap into as well. From the outset, I wanted to write a spy story and I was extremely fortunate to come across a book by Tim Tate, Hitler’s British Traitors. The book was fascinating. I had not realised how large and difficult a problem the fifth columnists in Britain were. Officially, it was always denied, mostly because it was felt the knowledge would damage the morale of the people when they faced such a dangerous enemy. When I found connections with the IRA and Ireland, it tied in perfectly with the Irish angle I wanted for the story.

I was at a slight disadvantage in that I knew a lot about the bigger picture, but not a huge amount about life on the home front. So, I had to spend a lot of time researching the more day-to-day aspects of life in the 1940s. However, research is something I love, and often it throws up ideas for sub-plots or new characters. In this case, I came across a wonderful website all about Vickers Supermarine, the makers of the Spitfire [https://supermariners.wordpress.com]. The owner of the site, David Key, provided a vast amount of invaluable information about the workings of Supermarine at Hursley Park, where much of the story is set.

If you had to describe your protagonist, in three words, what would those three words be and why?

Loyal, headstrong, and brave. My protagonist, Sarah, has a pretty hard time of it in the book. She needed to be all these things to survive. Her loyalty is put to the test throughout.

What was the most challenging part about writing your book?

There was one piece of information that I could not find online or in books. It is only available in the National Archives at Kew in the UK. Until Covid restrictions are lifted, it will not be possible to travel and complete my investigation. Luckily, this information only affects the sequel, which will not be published until 2022, but it bothers me when I do not have an answer to something! As soon as I can, I will be off to London to hunt it down.

What are you currently working on?

Editing work will begin on the sequel to Her Secret War (title yet to be decided) in the next few months. In the meantime, I am finalising the edits on The Art of Deception, which is the third book in my Victorian mystery series (The Lucy Lawrence Mysteries). All going well, this book will be published before the end of the year. During the autumn, I will be working through some ideas for new projects, including a totally new genre I would like to explore.

What would you tell an aspiring author who had some doubts about their writing abilities?

If you have been bitten by the writing bug - just go for it. Tell your stories, your way. Be aware that your voice may not be commercial enough for a publisher, but you have options. Consider self-publishing but only if you are prepared for the financial cost of doing it properly, i.e., cost of editing and getting a professional cover. I was extremely lucky to sign with an agent several years ago, and I do not believe I would be where I am today without her help and guidance. I would also add that an experienced editor is invaluable; you will learn so much about the craft from them.


Personal Interview questions.

What do you like to do when you are not writing?

I am a qualified horticulturist and at one point, I had hoped to be a garden designer. In 2008, I designed and built a show garden in Bloom 2008 (the Irish equivalent of Chelsea). However, the 2008 crash put pay to that ambition. However, I am still a keen gardener and pottering about amongst the plants helps me relax. When I’m not in the garden, you will usually find me out walking along the local beach, or when the weather is inclement, with my nose in a book. 

What’s for dinner tonight? What would you rather be eating?

Penang curry – it is such a simple dish to make (I prefer baking to making dinners – so I always go for the easy option!) I’d rather be somewhere in Italy enjoying some fabulous pasta dish or a yummy pizza!

What would be a perfect day?

Walk on the beach, followed by a pleasant lunch with hubby or a friend, and an afternoon sitting in the shade, reading a good book. Chocolate and my fav cocktail (French martini) might also feature!


Either or!

Tea or coffee: Tea

Hot or cold: Cold

Movie or book: Book

Morning person or Night owl: Morning person

City or country: Country

Social Media or book: Book

Paperback or ebook: Eek! Both – paperback for research books, ebook for reading for pleasure.




Pam Lecky is an Irish historical fiction author, writing crime, and mystery with a dash of romance. Pam is represented by the Hardman & Swainson Literary Agency in London. She is a member of the Historical Novel Society and the Society of Authors and has a particular love of the late Victorian era/early 20th Century. 

In November 2020, Pam signed with Avon Books UK/Harper Collins in a two-book deal. The first book in the historical thriller series, Her Secret War, will be published in October 2021; the sequel in 2022.

Her debut novel, The Bowes Inheritance, was awarded the B.R.A.G Medallion; shortlisted for the Carousel Aware Prize 2016; and long-listed for the Historical Novel Society 2016 Indie Award. 

Her short stories are available in an anthology, entitled Past Imperfect, which was published in April 2018. 

June 2019, saw the release of the first book in the Lucy Lawrence Mystery series, No Stone Unturned, a fast-paced Victorian mystery/crime, set in London and Yorkshire which was recently awarded the B.R.A.G. Medallion. The sequel, Footprints in the Sand, set in Egypt, was released in March 2020. She is currently working on the third book in the series, The Art of Deception, which will be published in late 2021.


2 comments: