About

Friday, March 25, 2022

Read an interview with Rachel Brimble, author of A Very Modern Marriage #HistoricalRomance #VictorianHistoricalRomance #Interview @RachelBrimble


Let's have a look at Rachel Brimble's book, A Very Modern Marriage! While you're here, have a read of my interview with Rachel!

A Very Modern Marriage
(The Ladies of Carson Street Book 3)
An absolutely gripping and unputdownable Victorian saga


He needs a wife...

Manchester industrialist William Rose was a poor lad from the slums who pulled himself up by his bootstraps, but in order to achieve his greatest ambitions he must become the epitome of Victorian respectability: a family man.

She has a plan...

But the only woman who's caught his eye is sophisticated beauty Octavia Marshall, one of the notorious ladies of Carson Street. Though she was once born to great wealth and privilege, she's hardly respectable, but she's determined to invest her hard-earned fortune in Mr Rose's mills and forge a new life as an entirely proper businesswoman.

They strike a deal that promises them both what they desire the most, but William's a fool if he thinks Octavia will be a conventional married woman, and she's very much mistaken if she thinks the lives they once led won't follow them wherever they go.

In the third instalment of Rachel Brimble's exciting Victorian saga series, The Ladies of Carson Street will open the doors on a thoroughly modern marriage – and William is about to get a lot more than he bargained for...


Genre: Victorian Historical Romance
Page Length: 313

Grab a copy HERE!

INTERVIEW

Writing Interview questions.

Why did you choose to write your book in this era?

Because I absolutely love the Victorian period for all the amazing changes taking place – especially for women. This was the time when women started to demand change, whether that be in the home, the workplace or in the first baby steps towards gender equality. The underlying feeling of change runs through almost every part of society because of the industrial revolution.

Did you find researching this era particularly difficult? What was the hardest thing to find out, and did you come across anything particularly surprising?

My latest release, A Very Modern Marriage, is my seventh Victorian novel so I am quite familiar with the period now but, for this novel in particular I researched cotton mills and the people that worked there, which was a whole new subject for me.

I found that tough reading sometimes…the conditions could be absolutely awful and the ages of the children unthinkable in this day and age.

Can you share something about the book that isn’t covered in the blurb?

Yes! In the blurb it says Octavia (my heroine) is ‘one of the notorious ladies of Carson Street’ but not what that means! I have had readers somewhat surprised when they learn Octavia is a prostitute. 

This is the third book in a trilogy (all can be read standalone) where I have three friends who live and work together – my mission with this series was to show how different these women’s circumstances were that led to them living the lives they are and – most importantly – to give them each the happy ever after they each deserve!

If you had to describe your protagonist(s), in three words, what would those three words be and why?

Strong, caring and intelligent – Octavia has already been through so much before the book opens but she is a survivor. She passionately cares about her best friends, Louisa and Nancy as well as everything else to do with their home. She is well-educated, escapes into the pages of books and longs for more in her life – she knows she’s worth more and I adore her!

What was the most challenging part about writing your book?

I always find plotting difficult at the beginning of the process but 28 novels in, I know everything will work out in the end – the other part that is always a challenge is the middle of the book. I get to around 40,000 words and things begin to flag a little, then once I reach 60-65,000 words, I’m flying high again. It happens EVERY time!

Was there anything that you edited out of this book that would have drastically affected the story, should it be left in?

I can’t think of anything, and I don’t think I’ve ever come across this with any of my books – I tend to write the story the way I believe it should be told but I’m also open to my editor’s suggestions and changes. So far, there has not been anything too drastic!

What are you currently working on?

I am currently editing the first book in what I hope will be an ongoing series - each book will be set in a different British royal court and revolve around the romance of a royal maid.

Book 1 is set in Queen Victoria’s court and should be out in the summer and I am working on book 2 set in the court of Prince Edward and Princess Alexandra…

What would you tell an aspiring author who had some doubts about their writing abilities?

You can do this!!

So many aspiring writers think they are not good enough but that is never the case – writing takes practice, practice and more practice. The best advice I was ever given was ‘give yourself permission to write a crappy first draft’ – getting to the end is the first challenge. With that done, you can edit to your heart’s content!

If there are any aspiring romance writers out there looking for some help with that all-important first chapter, I run a First Chapter Critique service and would love to help! Here’s the link: https://rachelbrimble.com/first-chapter-critique-service/


Personal Interview questions.

What do you like to do when you are not writing?

I am an avid knitter as well as a voracious reader – if I am not doing either of these things, you will usually find me walking the wonderful English countryside with my husband and our mad chocolate Labrador, Tyler!

What did you want to be when you grew up?

A writer! I feel so blessed that I am doing what I’ve always wanted to do – when I was about 8 or 9, I discovered Enid Blyton’s Secret Seven series and vowed that one day I would be paid to write books. My first book wasn’t published until 23 years later, but I got there in the end – that’s why I am so completely committed to helping aspiring writers. Take your passion and go for it!

What’s for dinner tonight? What would you rather be eating?

Oh, my husband and I are out tonight so we’ve booked dinner at our favourite Mexican restaurant – chicken enchiladas are in my future!

What would be a perfect day?

Writing outside in the warm sunshine all day, following by dinner with a glass of wine on the patio…bliss!

What is the best part of your day?

I love the evening – work done for the day, a long bubble bath with a book followed by some favourite TV.


Either or!

Tea or coffee: Coffee

Hot or cold: Hot

Movie or book: Book

Morning person or Night owl: Both!

City or country: Country

Social Media or book: Book

Paperback or ebook: Paperback (although I love my Kindle, too!)


Rachel lives in a small town near Bath, England. She is the author of over 25 published novels including the Ladies of Carson Street trilogy, the Shop Girl series (Aria Fiction) and the Templeton Cove Stories (Harlequin). In January 2022, she signed a contract with the Wild Rose Press for the first book in a brand new series set in past British Royal courts.

Rachel is a member of the Romantic Novelists Association as well as the Historical Novel Society and has thousands of social media followers all over the world. 

To sign up for her newsletter (a guaranteed giveaway every month!), click here: https://bit.ly/3zyH7dt

WebsiteTwitterFacebookInstagram



4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me here today! Looking forward to chatting with your visitors :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Maddie! Hope you're tempted to read Octavia's story :D

      Delete