About

Sunday, August 7, 2022

Read an interview with Joan Fallon, author of The Shining City (The Al-Andalus Series: Book One) #HistoricalRomance #Medieval @joan_fallon

I am delighted to welcome Joan Fallon to my blog, for an interview! But first, let us take a look at her book!

The Shining City
(The Al-Andalus Series: Book One)
By Joan Fallon


This is the story of a city, a city that is now in ruins and lies five kilometres outside of Cordoba in Spain: MADINAT AL ZAHRA.  The story is set in the 10th century, a time when southern Spain was under the rule of the Moors.  The ruler, Caliph Al Rahman III was rich, powerful and cultured.  His caliphate was, at long last, at peace and the capital, Cordoba, was considered to be not only the most beautiful city in the civilised world but also the seat of learning and culture.  Against this background we meet the artisan Qasim - he and his family have moved to Madinat al Zahra to make their fortune as potters.  

Qasim is a good husband and father.  He works hard, says his prayers and keeps out of trouble.  But Qasim has a secret; his past is not what it seems.  When a stranger arrives asking questions about him, and his youngest son falls in love with the caliph’s concubine, he realises that all he has worked for could be destroyed.  He has to take action.

Genre: Medieval Historical Romance
Page Length: 444

Grab a copy HERE!

INTERVIEW

Writing Interview questions.

The Shining City (Al-Andalus Trilogy Bk1) set in 10th century Spain

Why did you choose to write your book in this era?

When I first moved to Spain to live, I became fascinated by the culture of Andalusia and wanted to know more about its Moorish history. We saw an exhibition of Syrian art advertised in a place called Madinat al-Zahra and decided to visit it. Madinat al Zahra was once a marvellous city built just outside Córdoba in the 10th century. It was the most spectacular city of its time and yet only seventy years after it had been built it was in ruins; I wanted to know why. It was after visiting the site of the city that I decided I had to write a novel about it. Today Madinat al Zahra is a fascinating archeological site and the work of excavating it carries on.

Did you find researching this era particularly difficult? What was the hardest thing to find out, and did you come across anything particularly surprising?

It was very difficult researching this period of history, partly because very little written history of the period had survived. Although the city had many libraries and thousands of books, they had all been destroyed. I found some references in Spanish and a few in English but it took me six months to research the period, because I started from scratch; I knew nothing about 10th century Spain at all. The most surprising thing I discovered was that in that period the Muslims, The Christians and the Jews all lived in harmony; it was a rare period of convivencia. Another thing was that the role of women was much more important than in later centuries; women were educated, could work as doctors and teachers, run their own businesses and go to university.

Can you share something about the book that isn’t covered in the blurb?

Qasim, the father, has three sons and one daughter. The youngest of his sons, Omar,  is a potter and one day while he is taking some pottery to the palace, he sees a beautiful woman in the market place. He is captivated by her beauty and decides he must speak to her, despite the fact that she is the latest concubine of the caliph, Abd al Rahman III, the most powerful man in the country.

If you had to describe your protagonist(s), in three words, what would those three words be and why?

There are various protagonists in this story, Qasim, the father, Omar the youngest son and Jawhara the concubine.

I will choose Omar:

foolhardy because he doesn't consider the consequences of his actions which affect both his friends and family

skilled because he is a very skilful and innovative potter

and romantic because he thinks love will overcome everything.

What was the most challenging part about writing your book?

Checking that I had the historical details correct.

Was there anything that you edited out of this book that would have drastically affected the story, should it be left in?

Not really, but when I wrote the novel I intended it to be a single book. It was only afterwards, when people were asking if there was another book in the series that I realised I had enough material for a trilogy. If I had started with that in mind it could have had a slightly different ending.

What are you currently working on?

I have written two trilogies on Moorish Spain and three other historical fiction books and now I am having a rest from writing historical fiction. I have started writing a crime series set in Málaga in modern times. It is called the Jacaranda Dunne Mysteries and so far I have written three books: Sophie is Still Missing, Dark Heart and Strawberry Moon. I will probably write a couple more and then go back to historical fiction; I already have an idea for a story set in Spain in the years before the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War.

What would you tell an aspiring author who had some doubts about their writing abilities?

I would tell them to read as many of the books of well known writers as possible, in order to get a clear idea of what a good novel is about. If they still have doubts then maybe take a creative writing course; it can make such a difference to your confidence.


Personal Interview questions.

What do you like to do when you are not writing? 

Walk my dog, read, watch television and be with the family.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be an archeologist, and then a journalist. I have been neither but a historical novelist is not far off.

What’s for dinner tonight? What would you rather be eating?

I don't eat dinner. I always have my main meal at lunchtime and today I'm having a prawn salad. I would rather be in a beach restaurant eating a selection of fresh seafood.

What would be a perfect day?

Any day when I see my grandson.

What is the best part of your day?

The morning when I walk my dog in the countryside or along the beach and meet friends.


Either or!

Tea or coffee: coffee

Hot or cold: hot but not too extreme

Movie or book: book

Morning person or Night owl: morning person

City or country: city

Social Media or book: book

Paperback or ebook: paperback



A history graduate, turned teacher and now self-published author, Joan's writing encompasses both historical fiction, contemporary women’s fiction, non-fiction and more recently crime fiction. Born in Dumfries, Scotland, she has been living in Spain for the last twenty-four years. Many of her novels are set there, particularly the historical ones which focus on two distinct periods in the country’s history, the Spanish Civil War and Moorish Spain. To date she has written and published seventeen books. She is a member of the Society of Authors and the Alliance of Independent Authors.

FacebookBlogWebsiteInstagramGoodreadsTwitter



No comments:

Post a Comment