About

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Read an interview with Carolyn Hughes, author of Squire's Hazard #Medieval #HistoricalFiction #BlogTour #TheCoffeePotBookClub @writingcalliope @cathiedunn


Squire’s Hazard
(The Meonbridge Chronicles Book 5)
Carolyn Hughes


How do you overcome the loathing, lust and bitterness threatening you and your family’s honour?

It’s 1363, and in Steyning Castle, Sussex, Dickon de Bohun is enjoying life as a squire in the household of Earl Raoul de Fougère. Or he would be, if it weren’t for Edwin de Courtenay, who’s making his life a misery with his bullying, threatening to expose the truth about Dickon’s birth.

At home in Meonbridge for Christmas, Dickon notices how grown-up his childhood playmate, Libby Fletcher, has become since he last saw her and feels the stirrings of desire. Libby, seeing how different he is too, falls instantly in love. But as a servant to Dickon’s grandmother, Lady Margaret de Bohun, she could never be his wife.

Margery Tyler, Libby’s aunt, meeting her niece by chance, learns of her passion for young Dickon. Their conversation rekindles Margery’s long-held rancour against the de Bohuns, whom she blames for all the ills that befell her family, including her own servitude. For years she’s hidden her hunger for retribution, but she can no longer keep her hostility in check.

As the future Lord of Meonbridge, Dickon knows he must rise above de Courtenay’s loathing and intimidation, and get the better of him. And, surely, he must master his lust for Libby, so his own mother’s shocking history is not repeated? Of Margery’s bitterness, however, he has yet to learn…

Beset by the hazards these powerful and dangerous emotions bring, can young Dickon summon up the courage and resolve to overcome them?

Secrets, hatred and betrayal, but also love and courage – Squire’s Hazard, the fifth MEONBRIDGE CHRONICLE.


Publication Date: 6th October 2022 
Publisher: Riverdown Books
Page Length: 360
Genre: Historical Fiction

Grab a copy HERE!
This novel is free to read with #KindleUnlimited subscription.

INTERVIEW

Writing Interview Questions.

Why did you choose to write your book in this era?

It was serendipity. When I had to choose what to write as the creative piece for my Masters in Creative Writing, I wanted a change from the contemporary women’s fiction I had been writing for the previous few years (none of it yet published). I looked for inspiration amongst my old scribblings and found the handwritten (in pencil) draft of a few chapters of a novel I’d begun in my twenties. It was set in fourteenth century rural England, and was about the lives of peasant families. The plot wasn’t up to much, but I was attracted by its period and setting. I was already quite intrigued by the medieval period, partly because of its relative remoteness in time and in our understanding of it. It came to me that, by writing an historical novel set in the period, I’d have to find out more about the medieval past and then interpret it, which seemed like an exciting thing to do. A few days later, I had an outline for the novel that became my first Meonbridge Chronicle, Fortune’s Wheel.

Did you find researching this era particularly difficult? What was the hardest thing to find out, and did you come across anything particularly surprising?

This era is moderately difficult because, for example, there is little in the way of contemporary literature that can help with getting a picture of the time. There is literature, of course, such as Chaucer, but it’s relatively limited. Also, few people could read and write then, especially the lower classes, so we don’t have many letters to give us insight into day to day life. There are of course official documents but, actually, I have found I can manage reasonably well without going to primary sources. I rely on research done by others, and I do have a fairly extensive library of books to consult. I think one of the trickiest aspects of learning about “the past” – and this applies to all eras – is understanding how people thought.  

Can you share something about the book that isn’t covered in the blurb?

The blurb refers to Lady Margaret de Bohun, but doesn’t say much about her role in Squire’s Hazard. As those who have read the previous books will know, she is very much an established character in the Meonbridge Chronicles, and she has an important role in Squire’s Hazard too. She is concerned about the future of her grandson, Dickon, and her maid, Libby, especially when it seems they might have “grown up” feelings for each other. She is also the focus of hostility towards the de Bohun family held by Libby’s unhappy aunt…

If you had to describe your protagonist(s), in three words, what would those three words be and why?

Dickon: brave, honourable, wise. Or rather those are what Dickon becomes by the end of the book. At the beginning, he is rather fearful and uncertain about life, made miserable by the bullying he is experiencing as a young squire, and then vacillating over how he should behave towards his childhood playmate, Libby, who is blossoming into womanhood. Squire’s Hazard is partly a coming-of-age story, in which Dickon has to learn to overcome his fears and ambivalences, and choose to act in a way that is appropriate for a boy expecting to become a knight. 

What was the most challenging part about writing your book?

Squire’s Hazard has taken me longer to write than the previous books, and I think that is because I was finding it all quite “hard” to write! And the hardest scenes for me, in this book and the earlier ones, are those involving emotional conflict and psychological distress, in particular where characters are keeping secrets, are being deliberately “economical with the truth”, or have lost touch with the truth. Because I’m writing in series, I’m inevitably referring back to earlier events, which one character might “remember” differently from another. It’s important to maintain consistency and continuity of characters from book to book, but also to have them develop and change. Getting that balance can be tricky, and was an aspect of writing Squire’s Hazard that I found particularly challenging. 

Was there anything that you edited out of this book that would have drastically affected the story, should it be left in?

Not that I can think of. But if I did take it out, it probably needed to come out!

What are you currently working on?

I’m currently writing book “4.5” of the Meonbridge Chronicles series, which is a companion novel to the main series. I decided to write a spin-off from book 4, Children’s Fate, when readers wanted to know what happened to the heroine at the end. Book 4.5 is called The Merchant’s Dilemma. After that, I will be writing the sixth Chronicle proper, for which I have a plan but not yet a detailed outline. 

What would you tell an aspiring author who had some doubts about their writing abilities?

I think that simply writing, writing, writing might be the best advice. Practice makes perfect, they say, but more modestly, in my own experience, practice has certainly made me “better”. Putting pen to paper – fingers to keyboard – frequently gradually hones your writing skills. But reading is also really important – with a somewhat critical eye – for helping hugely to understand what works and what doesn’t in structure, language, imagery and so on. I would also urge you to share your writing… With friends, of course, especially if they’re writers too, or are voracious but critical readers. But I also really recommend joining a writers’ group if you can for regular writerly feedback on your work, and (hopefully) empathetic support. And, of course it follows – don’t ignore what people say about your writing, especially if several people say the same thing! Taking criticism and acting upon it is a great way to improve.


Personal Interview questions.

What do you like to do when you are not writing?

Reading, gardening, being with my family.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

A stage designer. By which I mean the person who designs sets for stage shows, especially musicals. I got the idea as a child, when my parents took me to a musical show every year as a pre-Christmas treat in one of the big London theatres. I remember being amazed by the wonderful revolving sets. I was quite creative as a child and spent a lot of time drawing houses and costumes. A bit later I thought I’d be an interior designer, designing homes for rich people. But all the deign stuff came to nothing. After university I became a computer programmer!

What’s for dinner tonight? What would you rather be eating?

We’re having baked chicken, which I shall enjoy, but my favourite food is always fish. And my favourite fish dishes? Skate with black butter or Crab salad. 

What would be a perfect day?

Leisurely start (see below – Night Owl). Visit to some historical site, especially a medieval one. Light lunch. Another historical site, perhaps, or a gentle stroll (as long as it’s in the country). Dinner with our family, including our fifteen-month-old grandson.

What is the best part of your day?

Don’t know really. I suppose I quite like evenings (see below – Night Owl), especially when I can sit in front of our woodburning stove with a glass of wine or a gin and tonic, and just relax, while my husband cooks the dinner… Relaxing means either reading or doing online puzzles on my iPad, jigsaws being my favourite but also words puzzles of different sorts and sudoku. I’m not a great TV watcher. 


Either or!

Tea or coffee: Tea

Hot or cold: I hate both. Warm is what I need! 

Movie or book: Book (mostly)

Morning person or Night owl: Night owl

City or country: Country (no contest)

Social Media or book: Book (though I do engage in Facebook / Twitter as an author)

Paperback or ebook: eBook for novels, paperback or hardback for non-fiction



CAROLYN HUGHES has lived much of her life in Hampshire. With a first degree in Classics and English, she started working life as a computer programmer, then a very new profession. But it was technical authoring that later proved her vocation, as she wrote and edited material, some fascinating, some dull, for an array of different clients, including banks, an international hotel group and medical instruments manufacturers.

Having written creatively for most of her adult life, it was not until her children flew the nest several years ago that writing historical fiction took centre stage, alongside gaining a Master’s degree in Creative Writing from Portsmouth University and a PhD from the University of Southampton.

Squire’s Hazard is the fifth MEONBRIDGE CHRONICLE, and more stories about the folk of Meonbridge will follow.

You can connect with Carolyn through her website www.carolynhughesauthor.com and on social media.


Follow the tour HERE!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for hosting Carolyn Hughes today. What a fabulous interview! x

    ReplyDelete