In a land torn by crusade and rebellion, honour is earned in blood.
1205. Richard Fitz Simon has fled England after his title was usurped, joining the Livonian Order of Swordbrothers – a German brotherhood of warrior-monks fighting to bring the word of God to the pagan frontier. After slaying the Lithuanian champion at the Battle of Rodenpois, Richard is celebrated by the Order and their Semigallian allies.
Yet his position remains precarious. Jealous rivals question his right to stand among the brotherhood, and his master, Knight-brother Rudolf, is enraged by Richard’s disobedience. When dark secrets from Lübeck resurface, Richard also finds himself at odds with Bishop Albert, head of the Christian mission in Livonia. As he struggles to reconcile faith, duty and identity, he is drawn into a brutal world of suspicion and bloodshed.
Sent on an expedition to build a castle deep in the wilderness, Richard soon sees tensions erupt – and the path he has chosen threatens to destroy everything he has fought to become.
Writing Interview Questions.
Why did you choose to write your book in this era?
I have always been interested in the medieval world, but it was when I read Eric Christiansen’s excellent book The Northern Crusades, that I knew I had to write about this little-known period and The Order of Swordbrothers (Schwertbrüderorden). Hundreds of books have been written about the crusades in the Holy Land but very little about the religious struggles that were ongoing in the Baltic.
Did you find researching this era particularly difficult? What was the hardest thing to find out, and did you come across anything particularly surprising?
Soldiers of Christ required thorough research that took many years to complete. I have built up a small library of books on the crusades in the Baltic and medieval life in general. Additionally, my book was kindly read for any historical errors by Prof. William Urban, a medieval historian from Monmouth College, IL, and the preeminent English-speaking expert on the Northern Crusades, for which I am very grateful.
However, the principal first-hand source I used is The Chronicle of Henry of Livonia, which was written by a priest, Henricus des Lettis. The chronicle deals with events in the eastern Baltic between 1180 and 1226. Written from the German point of view, it describes the role of the Latin Church in colonising and spreading Christianity to the local pagan tribes.
Soldiers of Christ is set in the early 13th century, and there are very few buildings still intact from this period and little information. At this time, Riga was constructed entirely of wood, and nothing survives to this day. I believe strongly in getting historical details correct, and this sometimes made it challenging.
Can you share something about the book that isn’t covered in the blurb?
The book continues the story from Sword Brethren with an older Richard, prisoner of Alexander Nevsky of Novgorod, writing the chronicle detailing the harsh and unforgiving history of his life in a military, religious order on the frontiers of Christendom. Richard must adapt to this new life of hardship, with enemies within the order who are intent on hurting him and religious doubt that makes him question his very purpose and reasons for being there.
If you had to describe your protagonist(s), in three words, what would those three words be and why?
The protagonist is named Richard Fitz Simon, originally from England but now a member of the German Order of Swordbrothers: Richard is competent – he learns quickly and is a natural leader, but some people consider him arrogant. Honourable – he has a strong sense of right and wrong and is a loyal friend. Bad-tempered – Richard is impatient with an explosive temper, especially as he gets older.
What was the most challenging part about writing your book?
I found this book considerably easier and faster to write than the first in the series, which took several years. I am not the quickest writer, and I don’t always write every day – contrary to the advice that most authors recommend. But everyone is different, and what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for another. I write in spurts, mostly in the evenings and weekends because of my day job.
Was there anything that you edited out of this book that would have drastically affected the story, should it be left in?
Not really. The first book in the series, Sword Brethren, changed extensively during the editing process, but Soldiers of Christ stayed pretty much the same.
What are you currently working on?
I am currently finishing writing the third book in the series. I hope to have it edited and ready to send to the publisher by the end of this year or early 2027.
What would you tell an aspiring author who had some doubts about their writing abilities?
Read widely within your own genre and beyond. I would also recommend that aspiring authors read with a critical eye as much as possible – learn how other authors handle certain situations and characterization. There are also plenty of writing courses, either online or in person, that people can study to improve their own work.
I also think editing is the key, but you have to write an initial draft first. Get the words down on paper and worry about improving and changing them later.
Personal Interview Questions.
What do you like to do when you are not writing?
I live in a beautiful part of the world, in a small village south of Munich with nearby views of the Alps. Perfect for long walks with my wife.
What did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a teenager I always wanted to be an army officer, and even went through the necessary steps in my early twenties, even though I had lost interest. Ultimately, I failed at the end of the selection process, but If I had succeeded my life would have been very different. I have no regrets.
What’s for dinner tonight? What would you rather be eating?
To be honest I don not know what is for dinner tonight but I hope it’s Indian. I lived in the country for a couple of years a long time ago and it is definitely my favourite food. I also eat little meat and the choice of Indian vegetarian dishes is immense.
What would be a perfect day?
A nice hike with the family, perhaps exploring a medieval town in Bavaria or Northern Italy, followed by a nice meal and a few drinks.
What is the best part of your day?
During the week I like to get up very early and go for a long walk before I start my day job working from home for a local IT company. Welcoming the dawn and seeing the abundance of animals – mostly deer, foxes and hares, is an invigorating start to the day.
Either or!
Tea or coffee: I drink both, but generally more coffee.
Hot or cold: Neither.
Movie or book: A good book, but I probably would say that being an author.
Morning person or Night owl: I used to be a night owl but now I’m very much of a morning person.
City or country: When I was younger definitely the city. I spent most of my life living in either London or Berlin, but now I live in the country and I love it.
Social Media or book: I’m not so big on social media which is probably harming my marketing, but like many people, I tend to spend too much time looking at my mobile phone.
Paperback or ebook: Paperback – there is something about holding a physical book in your hands that makes it special.
Jon Byrne, originally from London, now lives with his German family by a lake in Bavaria with stunning views of the Alps. As well as writing, he works as a translator for a local IT company and occasionally as a lumberjack. He has studied the medieval world for over twenty years, building up a comprehensive personal library and a particular interest in the often-overlooked Northern Crusades.
Soldiers of Christ is Book Two of The Northern Crusader Chronicles, a gritty, historically grounded series focused on realism, moral ambiguity, and the brutal realities of medieval warfare.
Written for readers who value authenticity and atmosphere over romanticised adventure, the novel explores a largely forgotten crusading frontier, culminating in the first of many confrontations in a harsh wilderness of forest and swamp.
Readers who enjoy the historical detail of authors such as Bernard Cornwell, Conn Iggulden, or Ben Kane may find familiar ground here.
Follow the tour HERE!




No comments:
Post a Comment