About

Thursday, July 6, 2023

Read an excerpt from Under His Spell, The Rival Courts by Luv Lubker #UnderHisSpell #TheRivalCourts #VictorianFiction #HistoricalFiction #BlogTour #TheCoffeePotBookClub @LubkerLuv @cathiedunn


Under His Spell, The Rival Courts 
By Luv Lubker

A beautiful love story between the Princess Royal Victoria and Fritz Wilhelm, Frederick III of Prussia

A lonely young man attends the first World’s Fair – the Great Exhibition of 1851 – and meets a family who changes his life forever. 

Follow the young Prince Fritz – later Friedrich III – of Prussia and his wife, Queen Victoria’s eldest daughter, Vicky, (parents of Kaiser Wilhelm II) through their courtship and the joys and struggles of their first four years of marriage. 

Fritz and Vicky dream of a peaceful united Germany, but Fritz’s uncle Karl has his own dreams of power…

Discover often hinted at but unrevealed secrets of the Prussian Royal court…


Publication Date: May 30 2023
Publisher: Historium Press
Page Length: 384
Genre: Historical Fiction

Grab a copy HERE!

EXCERPT


Vicky stepped out of her dressing-room. The moonlight was bright; Fritz was already in bed, and appeared to be asleep. She sat down quietly on the bed to brush her hair, and carefully began to braid it.

“Do you need any help with that?”

She jumped up and whirled around at the touch of Fritz’s hand on her shoulder.

“I’m sorry, I forgot.” She could see his face flush even in the moonlight. “You have been so well and like yourself, I didn’t think of that.”

“I have felt very well, indeed; even having to sit with – him – last month – didn’t make me have nightmares. I am only glad you spoke before you touched my shoulder, so…”

Fritz nodded. “Why didn’t you call your maid?”

“I didn’t want to disturb you, as I thought you were asleep. But yes, I would like some help. Alice and I always helped each other at home. Hold this strand while I…” She showed him what to do to help her with the long braid.

She glanced up as she tied the ribbon on the end. “What is so funny?”

He was smiling slightly, as he always did when he tried to hide that he was amused. “I was thinking of what I wrote to your Mama about the Emperor Alexander’s coronation, about not knowing the names of any details of the ladies’ dresses.”

“You know every detail of this, I suppose,” she said, glancing up at him as she fingered the details of the lace edge of her nightgown.

“No, I never see it, for what it contains; one does not study the package of the present one wishes to have most in the world.”

“Well, you may study it very closely now.” She slipped off her night-gown, pulling it over his head as she disappeared under the blankets, laughing.

***

“Fritz,” Vicky whispered as she laid her head on his shoulder. She sighed, and snuggled closer. “I haven’t felt so comfortable in my own skin in so long. I don’t think I will even have to put on my dressing-gown tonight, though I will want my night-gown. Where did you put it?”

“Where it always is.”



Luv Lubker has lived in the Victorian era half her life, making friends with the Brontë sisters and the extended family of Queen Victoria. Now she knows them quite as well as her own family.

Born in a cattle trough in the Appalachian mountains, Luv lives in Texas - when she comes to the modern world. 

When she isn’t living in the Victorian era, she enjoys being with her family; making and eating delicious raw food, riding her bike (which she only learned to ride at 25, though she’d ridden a unicycle since she was 7), and watching animals - the passion of her childhood.

Website • Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • Pinterest • LinkedIn • Amazon Author Page • Goodreads


Follow the tour HERE!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for hosting Luv Lubker today, Beatrice. Much appreciated.

    Cathie xx
    The Coffee Pot Book Club

    ReplyDelete